Friday 2 September 2011

A pyramid of highlights


Seated in an alcove of a hairdressing salon that opened out onto the street, she presented too good a photo opportunity to ignore. I felt guilty taking the shot. Of course, I did. But, that’s the dilemma that street or documentary photographers face. I try always to veer on the side of respecting my subjects. I wouldn’t say the lady was happy with my intrusion, but all I can say is sorry. And, hooray because it’s a photo that pleases my sense of the absurd.

2 comments:

  1. A great reminder of a lovely day.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joan, I enjoyed talking with you today at Tate Modern. With your encouragement plus having followed a very interesting lecture tour, I hope to get working on some textile-art hangings. You have a very interesting blog and I am looking forward to see what is taking your eye from day to day. I hope you will follow me also and I would love a comment should you find anything that interests you. As for the lady, sitting almost in the street, presumably privacy is not her main priority. I do not think it is an offensive photo and I hope the lady enjoys it too. People have published worse photos of me! Keep up the good work, Joan.

    ReplyDelete