Saturday 16 June 2012

City foxes


Here is a pic taken through a rainy window of Mrs Fox and three of her four cubs posing in my south London garden. Their den is under the shed, and so deep is the tunnel, it looks a little wobbly. One day a month ago, urged on by my friend Phil Polglaze, I blocked the entrance to the den, so as to encourage the frolicking family to move on. That evening Mrs Fox and a cub arrived home only to find it blocked. She looked so dejected and even (anthropomorphism gone mad) embarrassed in front of her offspring. Of course, I unblocked the entrance and all slept well that night. Now, as you can see, the youngsters are practically teenagers so will be off looking for their own pads soon, I hope. 

1 comment:

  1. Your foxes are doing a lot better than mine. Our mangy vixen is down to just one cub. I'm glad you unblocked the den. Mum usually drives the cubs away in August, so you have a few weeks to go. Sometimes she lets one of her daughters stick around, perhaps to help with the next brood.

    ReplyDelete